Thursday, February 19, 2009

February 19th

Today is February 19th, 2009.

Did you know that today in history….

In 1473 The astronomer Copernicus was born.
In 1881 Kansas became the first state to prohibit all alcoholic beverages.
In 1945 during World War II, some 30,000 United States Marines landed on the Western Pacific island of Iwo Jima and began a battle that lasted a month.
In 1975 in Columbus, Mississippi, Shawn Stinson was born.
In 2002 Vonetta Flowers became the first black athlete ever to win a gold medal at the Winter Olympics.
In 2008 Toshiba, creator of the HD DVD, conceded to Sony's rival Blu-ray format.

So yes, you may have noticed in that list that today is my birthday. I found out today that I also share a birthday with Smokey Robinson, Jeff Daniels, Seal, Benicio Del Toro, Justine Bateman, and Haylie Duff. Very interesting list.

I’ve been thinking about my birthday a lot today. 34 years old. I’m 1/2 way to 68. I don’t imagine I’ll make it much past that so I guess I’m in what some people call “mid-life”. I don’t think I’ve experienced any kind of crisis yet. Maybe that will come this year. This has been a great year though. As it was my 33rd (the Jesus year) I made a real effort to be a better man. I’ve read the bible more, prayed more, and been more conscience of taking care of myself. It’s been nice to realize that I can do difficult things if I put my mind to it. I lost almost 50 lbs during my 33rd year. For the first time in my life I ran a full mile. Those are things I never thought I’d do.

Thinking back over this year and all the others, I realize how much I have to be thankful for.
-I’ve got a beautiful, supportive wife who goes above and beyond what any wife & mother should do for her family. Without a doubt, she puts me and the boys above all else in her life and it shows in all her actions. I cannot say how glad I am that she continues to put up with this nerd. I really don’t deserve her.
-My two sons bring me more happiness than I ever thought was possible. Watching them grow up and learn new things every day is such a wonderful journey. Ethan played little league for the first time this year and Gavin is now talking so much I’m amused that we were ever worried about him.
-I’ve got not one, but two great jobs that support my family and allow me to make money doing things I enjoy.
-My family, both blood and in-laws, are better than I can describe. They are always there when needed to support or help me.
-My church, although it is one of my jobs, it is my church first. This “faith family” is very loving. I’m humbled that they allow me to be a “lead worshipper.”
-My friends, I admit I don’t get to hang out as much as I’d like to , but I know that they’re always there for me. You know the kind of friends I’m talking about, The ones that you don’t mind calling at 2am when you’ve had car trouble or the ones that will help you move. Those are the kind of friends I have.
-I’m also thankful for all my past friends that I’ve reconnected with on Facebook, ning, & myspace with. It’s been great catching up with all of you and learning where life has taken you.

I guess most of all I’m thankful for my Heavenly Father. Thankful that he’s given me all these things in my 34 years of life. Thankful that he’s blessed this guy who is definitely not deserving. Thankful that he continues to show me grace, mercy, and love in ways I could not have imagined.

If my next 34 years are ½ as good as my first 34, that will be okay by me.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday. Here's a poem
    Johnny had a chicken and Mary had a.....never mind. By the way, remember when we thought that Rodney was old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, brother!! May the Lord bless you and keep you, and make His face to shine upon you, and give you peace.

    ReplyDelete