Friday, February 6, 2009

Netflix 2008


Are you a Netflix member? I am. I love it.

It’s a great service that is unfortunately putting the video rental stores out of business. Do you remember the days of going to the store with your family or friends to pick out a movie. For me that was always part of the fun. It’s been years since I’ve done that. And I've just realized... my boys have NEVER done that. Wow.

Anyway, one of the advantages of Netflix is you can easily track what you’ve watched.
So now I present to you my list from 2008, along with some comments.
This isn’t every movie I watched, just the ones from Netflix, the ones I bought, or saw at the theatre that I can remember.
Amazingly this list represents approx 102 hrs of my life during 2008.



  • The Dark Knight - Currently my #1 favorite movie. Great acting. Great action. Very entertaining. I’m waiting to buy it until I get HD (see previous post).

  • Iron Man – Better than I expected. Very funny and fun. I bought it on DVD.

  • Hancock – Great movie, unnecessary language. I bought it on DVD.

  • Indiana Jones and The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull – fun, but disappointing.

  • Wall-E –good but not as good as people say.

  • Kung Fu Panda – lots of fun. I could watch it over and over, and have.

  • Madasgar: Escape 2 Africa – Technically I haven’t seen all of this one. Gavin decided after 15 minutes he’d rather go play in the lobby of the theatre.

  • The Strangers- very scary, but bad ending.

  • Step Brothers - funny, but extremely vulgar.

  • Hellboy II: The Golden Army - good flick, better than the first.

  • Get Smart - boring.

  • Journey to the Center of the Earth - I normally like Brendan Frasier, but this was 2 hrs of my life I wish I had back.

  • Don't Mess with the Zohan - very funny, but too vulgar.

  • Forgetting Sarah Marshall - forgettable. Vulgar, Male frontal nudity in a comedy? Are you kidding me?

  • Redbelt - great flick. Good story, good acting.

  • The Happening - As bad as people say. Mr. Shalmalan “I see a dead career.”

  • Nim's Island - decent kids movie.

  • The Love Guru - AWFUL! I was very disappointed in Mr. Myers. I wanted this to be funny, but it just wasn’t.

  • Baby Mama – a decent movie from Tina Fey and Amy Poller. Funny, but not great.

  • 21 – good. Ya gotta love Kevin Spacey.

  • Fool's Gold – I enjoyed it. Many reviewers did not. I think Matthew McConahay (I have no idea how to spell that) is funny.

  • What Happens in Vegas - ok, but forgettable.

  • The Bucket List – Great movie with 2 great actors.

  • Vantage Point - Good action flick but the storytelling gets a little repetitive.

  • We Own the Night – Boring. I found myself wanting to fast forward through it.

  • Jumper – fun action Movie. Mr. Darth Vader might have a future career after all.

  • The Other Boleyn Girl - anything with Mrs. Johanssen is worth watching once

  • Aliens vs. Predator 2 - ugh. Why did I watch this?

  • Flawless - Good movie, proved that Demi Moore can still act.

  • Rambo – Give it up Stallone.

  • Semi-Pro – Funny but not up to snuff for a Will Farrell Movie.

  • Meet the Spartans – WOW THIS WAS AWFUL. I FAST FORWARDED THROUGH MOST OF IT!!!

  • Juno – what’s the big deal. A couple clever lines, but not worth all the hype.

  • Charlie Wilson's War - Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Can’t beat it.

  • National Treasure: Book of Secrets - They should have stopped with one. But this was ok.

  • Sweeney Todd - Bad singing, bloody movie, artistic, well made movie, but not enjoyable.

  • 3:10 to Yuma – Well written and acted western. See it.

  • 27 Dresses- Not bad for a chic flick.

  • Stardust – Pretty good movie. but I’m curious why Deniro was in this.

  • Enchanted – Very funny. “It’s good”

  • American Gangster - Boring. But well acted.

  • Hitman- not bad for a movie based on a video game.

  • Beowulf: Director's Cut – skip it.

  • Death Sentence - Kevin Bacon in an action movie? Yep, and it works. Good movie.

  • Evan Almighty- Not as bad as people say. I enjoyed it.

  • The Brothers Solomon – awful. Skip it.

  • Ocean's Thirteen- Better than Ocean's 12 twelvc, but that's not saying much.

  • I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry – Funny but too preachy.

  • The Brave One – Good thriller from Jodie Foster.

  • Michael Clayton – great movie. Too many f-bombs.

  • Across the Universe – what was I think renting this? Interesting to see how they tied all the Beatles songs together, but I didn’t care about the characters and found myself fast forwarding to the next song.

    Do you disagree with any of my reviews?

3 comments:

  1. Shawn,

    I am still Sold on the redbox but I have recently joined nexflix for the online streaming through the xbox..Although with the online the selection is limited but still good(a lot of classics)I also have the game/movie pass at Blockbuster (hoover) that I can get one out (game or movie)at a time. My only problem is Time! I don't have the time to watch every thing I have on my Tivo..I am like you I had to cut back a little..My ratio of Tv to reading was 3hrs to 15min..Need to rework that one. Good post..yeah I agreee with some of the reviews there are alot of great movies that would still be great with the f-bombs and crude humor. Good post..Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just confirms that we can be TV friends, but not movie friends.

    - Wall-E is awesome if you have feelings.
    - Juno is awesome if you have communications skills.

    I did love Enchanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, Video streaming to the house would be awesome, but sadly that's diificult for us in the parts of the country without high speed interent. I'm jealous.

    Jamie, I'm sad but not surprised that we can't be movie friends. Kristi (my wife) is not my movie friend either.

    ReplyDelete