Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sunday Setlist 11-30-08

First, I recommend you go checkout this website. I've really enjoyed viewing other worship leader's blogs and seeing what's happening in other churches on Sundays.

Now, here's how our Sunday went...

Prelude: Orchestra - Joy To The World (Hymn)
Announcements

Lighting of the Advent Candle.... Stinson Family
Each Sunday from now until Christmas Eve we'll be lighting an advent candle and considering the great gifts that God has given us: Mercy, Peace, Love, etc.
We first experimented with this in our Christmas Eve service last year and decided to expand it to use throughout this Chirstmas season. So far, most people have commented on my children and how cute they were. (pics to come later) Hopefully, as the month progresses we'll be able to focus more on the subject of the day.


Lord, Have Mercy (Michael W. Smith version) chorus only
What Child Is This? (Hymn)

Welcome / Fellowship

Mighty To Save (Hillsong)
Introduced this song today for the first time. I was familiar with it but hadn't really considered using it in corporate worship until I saw so many others at Fred's website using it on a regular basis. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and took to it quickly. We'll definitely see it again.
O Come All Ye Faithful (Hymn)

Choir Special: Offering w/ His Glorious Name (From upcoming Christmas musical "Joy Joy Joy")
Message Bro. Steve: Gift of Gifts-Mercy, Luke 1:26-38, 46-55
Invitation: Just As I Am (Hymn)
Closing Chorus: Joy To The World (Hymn)

As you can see we started Christmas music today. I always find it a challenge to incorporate in traditional Christmas songs into the worship service. So many of them simply tell a part of the nativity story from one person's perspective (angels, wise men, etc.) I'm curious what you think. Should traditional carols be included or would it be better to leave them out and focus more on more worshipful songs?

And I'm wondering, How was your Sunday?

6 comments:

  1. Awesome set! Starting Christmas songs early huh? How did Mighty to Save turn out? We love this song at our church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sang Hillsong and I wasn't there?
    =[

    My morning was spent at my brother's church where we sang a never-ending medley of camp songs (Lord's Army, etc.), Gregorian Chants and Bluegrass.


    I'm never complaining about carousel hymns again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand, I also have a hard time figuring out how to incorporate carols into a worship set. There are very few that feel worshipful. That being said I like singing them, I think most people really like them too and I feel they look forward to singing them.It looks like you did a great job getting them in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi, we did Hillsong this week. Sorry you missed it. I'm planing on introducing a ton of new music starting in January.
    But I'm pretty sure "I'm in the Lord's Army" will not be one of them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steff, Thanks for the compliment. I'm now looking at the month ahead and trying to figure out where to go from here. I said on someone else's blog a minute ago that I'm trying to find a way to make "We Three Kings" worshipful. I'm not sure it can be done. =) Good luck to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment. We did I believe Matt Redman's version, where the chorus goes

    Blessed be the Name of the Lord
    Blessed be your Name
    Blessed be the Name of the Lord
    Blessed be your Glorious Name

    Do you know which one I am talking about now?

    ReplyDelete