Friday, September 11, 2009

Sunday Setlist 09-06-09

Each week I try to blog about our Sunday Service.
I include this post in the blog over at Fred McKinnon's site.
There you can see lots of worship leaders talk about their services.
I encourage you to check it out.

Here's what we did Sunday and some personal thoughts...
_____________________________________________________________________

The format below is exactly as the tech and musicians get it from me.
Choir Call To Worship: A Mighty Fortress (Octavo)
Choir will enter as Orchestra plays intro

Welcome / Announcements - Shawn

He Knows My Name (Ab/BH#44)
Omit repeat @m12, V1, C, V2, C, C, C, tag
On last chorus change lyrics from “He knows” to “You know”.

How Great Is Our God (Bb/BH#5)
As Written (We’ll teach Chorus2 to Congregation) V1, C, V2, C, C2 2x,C)
then no pause into next

How Great Thou Art (Bb/BH#6)
Chorus only, broad

Prayer / Fellowship

Everlasting God (Bb/BH#121)
As Written / V, Channel, C, V, Channel, C, Channel, C
In Christ Alone (D-Eb/BH#506)
All 4 verses w/ key change and tag

Offertory Prayer - Deacon

Special Music: Deb Ingram - Pianist
Message: Bro. Steve
Invitation: Wherever He Leads I’ll Go (F/BH#437)
Closing Chorus: Everlasting God (Bb/BH#121)
V, Channel, C
_________________________________________________________________

I can't speak for everyone, but I had a very worshipful experience Sunday.
Some of the highlights...
1.) How Great Is our God - I finally taught the church the 2nd Chorus "Name Above All Names..." Hearing the ladies sing it while the guys sang the regular chorus really added to the song. Hearing the voices sing God's praises sounded so great I had us sing the chorus of How Great Thou Art a 2nd time acapella.
2.) Everlasting God - First time we've done this one at Westwood. Clearly it was new to most in the church, but by the end they were singing the chorus pretty strong. This is a simple to teach chorus that is very upbeat. I'm sure it will be done again soon. (I only wish the opening verse wasn't so low.)

Some of the "no-so-high"lights...
1.) We sang all the verses of In Christ Alone (My Hope Is Found). By the end, it felt like it was simply dragging on instead of building in worship. I'm going to attribute that to the fact that not as many folks knew it as I had assumed. I think when we do it in the future I might cut a verse and see if that changes anything.

2.) During the intro, I foolishly started talking "off the cuff" about God's love and how amazing it is especially considering the fact of how big He is and how small we are. I even mentioned a video I'd seen online last week comparing the size of Earth to other objects in space. Would have been nice to have shown the video instead of told them about it. That's what I get for working without notes. =)

How was your Sunday?

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff Bro! I loved the acapella "How Great Thou Art " and I have had Everlasting God stuck in my head all week, can't wait till this Sunday!God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn, I'm with you - that was one of the most worshipful services that I've been in recently. I loved all of the music. Even all the verses to In Christ Alone. Praise God for giving us such great Christian musicians who are out there giving us new ways to worship Him! I truly believe that when you WANT to worship God, you can - no matter what the song. You just have to make the words your own and give them all to God.

    ReplyDelete