Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Movie’s Over. It’s 4 O’Clock And We're In Trouble, Deep.

Have I ever mentioned that I like watching movies?

I thought so.

I stayed up way too late last night watching a movie and when it was over it dawned on me that I'm different than I used to be. It seems that I no longer enjoy scary movies. Horror movies for me have always been something to laugh at, either at the foolish decisions of the victims (Why would anyone run upstairs when being chased by a psycho?), or at the gruesome special effects utilized in trying to make the gore appear real. Well, in the past 2 weeks I've attempted to watch "Saw IV" and Rob Zombie's new "Halloween". Both of these were very scary. I don't know that I've ever said that about a movie before. I actually found myself flinching from time to time and fast forwarding over parts that were too gruesome. (Although I'll admit, I did grin during "Halloween" when Juni from the Spy Kids movies was killed. I've had to watch those movies way too much recently.)

So now I'm wondering what has changed. Is little Shawny growing up and getting more mature? Are my fatherly instincts taking over and making me think of these victims as people and not just idiots to be laughed at? (I was especially shaken by young Michael Myers in Halloween. I couldn't help but feel bad for him and think of him as a child who needed better parenting.) Or is it possible that I'm simply no longer entertained by images of actors being murdered on screen? I'm not sure of the answer, but I do know this. I don't think I'll be watching "Saw V" or "Halloween 2" anytime soon.

I think I'll stick with comedies and action movies for now.

(G.I. Joe premiers August 7th. Who's going with me?)

No comments:

Post a Comment