Friday, July 22, 2011

The Adventures of "That Guy": Day 1


Our home for the next 5 days, Splash Resort.
 Earlier today on Facebook I posted this...
"Effective immediately I will be 'that guy'. You know, the one that posts a bunch of beach pics and stories of the restaurants he's eating at with his family during their vacation. Consider yourself warned."

I guess this blog post is the beginning of those postings.

Me and the lovely Kristi have been planning this vacation for months. We're so glad it's finally here.
We've brought our boys, once again, to Panama City Beach, FL  AKA the Redneck Riviera.
We love it. Great fun, great food, and of course the world's most beautiful beaches.

But what I enjoy even more than the beach itself are the experiences we have when we travel together.
As I write this, it's currently 1:53am  Friday morning. We have all finally settled in for the night and I've had a little time to reflect on our trip so far. So, as you can imagine, I'm exhausted, but not too exhausted to share ....

4 highlights from the first day of our summer vacation:
1.) The smile on Kristi's face when she picked me up from work.
We wanted to get here as quick as possible tonight but I had to work today, so we made arrangements for my brother in law to drop me off at work this morning and for Kristi to pick me up at 5. That way we could head straight to PCB. When she got to my office to get me, she was beaming. What a great smile. I think the only smile that compared to it was the one on my face as I climbed into a car that she had completely packed herself. It's amazing how much more relaxing the first few hours of a trip are when you're driving a vehicle that someone else has packed.

2.)Ethan and Gavin have started really enjoying Looney Tunes. As we made the 5 hr drive from Birmingham to PC I was asking Ethan about his day. One of the first stories he told me was about a new Looney Tune cartoon he had seen. It involved Bugs Bunny and a creature that tore stuff up and ran around like a tornado. "It's called the Titanium Devil" Ethan said excitedly. I almost didn't want to correct him...almost.

3.) One of the joys of travel is finding good travel music. So recently I put together a list of beach or summer songs for us to jam to en route.As we shuffled through the list on the iphone, we also stumbled across a few other random songs I had on there. One of those was by Michael McDonald. Kristi immediately asked me to change the song. Then she started to say how much she didn't like his voice. I really wish I could  have recorded the next part for you. She continued on to say everything he sings sound like this... "mmph..mmvr...mmmph...mmmppph" I know that doesn't translate well in writing. But you'll have to trust me. Her Michael McDonald impression is equally  accurate and hilarious.

4.) We arrived to our condo around 10pm. (15 min earlier than Kristi bet that we would. I really should have wagered some money on that bet.) As Kristi and Ethan unpacked, Gavin and I headed for Walmart. Now wait....think about this for a minute...me and Gavin.  (He's 5 yrs old)... at Walmart...in PCB... at 11pm. Needless to say, it was an adventure. There should definitely be a website for these people and their various stages of dress or in some cases... undress. I knows there's a site for strange looking walmart customers, but the people we saw were in a whole 'nother category.  There really should be a "People of Walmart, at the beach, at 11pm" site.

That's about all I got tonight. On the agenda for tomorrow...trying to avoid the incredibly thick seaweed in the ocean, having fun in the pool and splashpad at the condo, and of course, the part of the trip I look forward to the most, eating dinner at Captain Anderson's. I know you can hardly wait to see the pics of my food that I'll post.




No comments:

Post a Comment